Wednesday 29 October 2014

My First Interview! TCS New York Marathon 2014!

nyc

 

I am so excited to be writing this post. Back in 2010 I was studying my first year of Graphic Design at degree level. I was lucky enough to be able to afford to and go to New York! I absolutely loved it and always said I would love to live there.

The people were extremely friendly and they loved the British accent. In 2010 I was a barmaid, office worker and also studying towards my degree so as you can imagine I was always on the move. Looking back to where I was then to where I am now is like looking back at a different person. At the moment the only thing that keeps me moving is my work and that is a desk job so my fitness levels are really low as well as having a huge weight gain over the years!

In July I managed to do the Race for Life for cancer and I was really proud of myself for being able to do it. Now it did take me 2 hours to WALK 5k but I did it and I couldn't of done it with out the support of two great friends.

After the race one of my friends mentioned that in the next 4/5 years her and her sisters are planning to run the NYC marathon and I would love to be able to do that one day! Obviously it will be a while before I would be signing up but it is a goal of mine for the future.

So when I received an email to say would I be interested in the stories of runners, running in this years TCS New York Marathon I was very keen. I was given the opportunity to interview the runners so I decided to put together a set of questions that I would like to ask and hopefully there stories can inspire you to!

So I will get started on the interview!
 

Brandon Wood, 32, of Anchorage, AK,


brandon-wood-before

brandon-wood-after

 

1.       What inspired you to lose weight?


Shortly after my daughter was born in December 2009, I was looking at photos from the hospital. It was the first time in a while I had really looked at photos of myself (you find lots of ways to avoid it when you're overweight and don't like how you look). I finally realized how bad I had let things get (I was just under 300 pounds at the time), and knew I had to do something if I was going to be around to see my kids grow up.


2.       How do you go from being overweight to running in the NYC marathon?


I started out slowly, first just trying to eat a little bit better, then throwing some exercise in. I started running a few months later, originally just thinking I'd run a couple miles 2 or 3 times a week. Before I knew it, I was hooked! I ran my first marathon in December 2010, almost exactly one year after my daughter was born and my weight loss journey began. The TCS New York City Marathon will be my 15th marathon.


3.       Have you been following a particular diet or just healthy eating?


In the past I had tried a few diets like Atkins and South Beach, and had some success with them, but they were difficult to stick with for very long, and then the weight would just come right back. This time around, I've just focused on eating healthier, and eating less.


4.       Do you allow yourself 'bad' foods?


Yes, I don't consider anything completely off limits. I think by making a specific food completely off limits, it just makes it more attractive and more difficult to avoid. I just try to eat less of the "bad" foods than I used to. But if I really want that piece of cake, or donut, or piece of chocolate, or whatever else, I go ahead and have it. Now, instead of having a gigantic piece of cake, I'll just have a small one. I still get to enjoy whatever it is, but don't feel the need to completely stuff myself anymore.


5.       Being someone who is very unfit and struggles with walking what would your advice be to people who would love to run but who are maybes not physically fit enough at the moment?


Find something active that you can do, that you actually enjoy doing. Running isn't for everyone, and there's nothing wrong with that. You want to find something that you actually enjoy and look forward to it, so you don't feel like you "have" to do it. Otherwise, you probably won't stick with it for the long haul. Maybe it's swimming, biking, playing golf - whatever. Just find something active you enjoy and do that. Don't feel like you have to be a runner just because that's what you see other people doing.


6.       Times when you were struggling what motivated you to keep going?


I pretty much always bring it back to my kids. I want to be the kind of dad that can run around all afternoon playing with them, not having to make excuses for why I need to take a break or can't play with them right now. I also want to set a good example for them, so that they grow up where eating healthy and being active is their normal.


7.       What inspired you to run the NYC marathon and what is the difference from any other race?


New York is just such an amazing city, and the marathon is an iconic race. My wife's family is from New York (Long Island), so we've visited many times. I've been trying to get into the race the last 4 years, and was so excited to finally get in this year.


8.       If you could give one piece of advice to anyone wanting or trying to lose weight or get fit what would it be?


Start small - you've got a long journey ahead of you, don't feel like you have to make huge changes on day 1. Instead of trying to cut entire food groups out of your diet all at once, maybe try just adding some more fruits and veggies to your diet. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. If you're going to start running, you don't have to go out and run 5 miles the first day. I started with a "Couch to 5k" app on my phone, which starts you out with something like 60 seconds of running at a time, with 90 second walking breaks in between.

 

Logan O. Davis of Fort Smith, AR


Logan-O

 

1.       What inspired you to lose weight?


My weight loss inspiration came from my colleagues in the Greek Life Office at LSU where I worked as a graduate assistant in September 2012. They convinced me to participate in a weight loss challenge centered on setting and meeting your own weight loss goal. At the time I weighed 218 lbs, 12lbs less than my maximum weight.  Initially I was hesitant to enter. Was I overweight? Yes! But did I really need or want to lose weight? I wasn’t entirely sure. Reluctantly I provided the registration fee, which you recouped if you met your goal. My initial goal was to stop drinking Coca-Cola and cut out a few sweets and snack here and there during the 10-week challenge. In the first 2 weeks I had lost 7 lbs – on diet alone. I was amazed and wanted to see if this is something I could actually do. The next week I joined a gym and began walking on the treadmill with an incline for 30-45 minutes per day, 3-4 days per week. I also started to track my calories with an IPhone App and monitor my steps with a Fitbit. For the first time in my life I took into consideration what I was eating.  The final weigh-in yielded positive results. I exceeded my goal and lost 20 lbs, weighing just under 200 lbs.

The weight loss challenge showed me it was possible to lose weight. It brought out a Logan I had never seen before. I was happier and felt better than ever. My breakthrough moment came on Thanksgiving Day 2012 in Water Valley, KY. I woke up Thursday morning ready for my standard morning workout. Unfortunately, the rural roads in Western Kentucky don’t have numerous TVs to watch while you walk. Attempting a walk seemed boring, so my lighter, confident self decided to run. I made it a mile and half, the farthest I ran in more than 5 years. I was elated and felt transformed, a feeling I had never experienced and one I will never forget.

 

2.       How do you go from being overweight to running in the NYC marathon?


My weight loss story is definitely a journey, an unbelievable journey. I started to take running seriously at the start of 2013. I was running 3-4 times a week with varied distances. I could not believe the feeling I experienced from running. I quickly became a believer in the “runner’s high.” In April 2013 I ran my first 5K - my first organized race. At this time I weighed 140lbs and had lost 90 lbs total. A year later, with three half-marathons in-between, I ran my first marathon at the OKC Memorial in April 2014 – a year to the day from my first 5K.

In the process I became a runner in every essence of the statement. The biggest step in preparing to the run the TCS NYC Marathon has been believing I am a runner both mentally and physically. Now there is no questioning if I am a runner, it is who I am and what I do.


3.       Have you been following a particular diet or just healthy eating?


When I first started losing weight I strictly watched calories. I didn’t do any fancy diet other than cutting calories. My wife and I would research healthy and low calories recipes to eat for dinner. I continued to cut out Coca-Cola and would have an occasional Diet Coke or Coke Zero.

 

When I started training for my first half-marathon, I started researching running nutrition. I now try to focus on a nutrient rich diet with substantial vegetables and fruits. I have also become a label reader in the grocery store. I try to avoid trans-fat and limit my added sugar intake.


4.       Do you allow yourself 'bad' foods?


Yes! For deserts and sweets I typically schedule them into my diet in small portions. It might be a few Pretzel M&Ms after lunch a couple days each week. For large meal items, i.e. cheeseburger, I schedule those items into my diet well in advance. I know for me, there is no way I could get rid of certain things all together, i.e. carrot cake, cheese burgers, or pizza. If I put them in my schedule, it becomes a reward to stay on track until that meal.


5.       Being someone who is very unfit and struggles with walking what would your advice be to people who would love to run but who are maybes not physically fit enough at the moment?


Start small and do what you can. If I would have tried to start running in September 2012, I would have crashed and burned big time. You have to approach fitness, like eating an elephant, one bite at time. The only way to get to your desired fitness level is by doing something.


6.       Times when you were struggling what motivated you to keep going?


I have to constantly remind myself that making a lifestyle change is a journey.  If I did not have bad days or struggles would I really make myself better, would I really be making a positive change?


7.       What inspired you to run the NYC marathon and what is the difference from any other race?


Training for my first marathon I realized how far I had come in such a short time. A year before the start of the race, I had never ran a 5K. As I prepared to embark on my second 26.2 mile journey, I realized I had a story. Losing 90lbs and training to run 26.2 miles is something I should be proud of and want to share with the world. What better platform to share my story than TCS NYC Marathon, the largest marathon in the United States? If a former overweight kid from rural Western Kentucky could train and finish the TCS NYC marathon, than anything is possible.


8.       If you could give one piece of advice to anyone wanting or trying to lose weight or get fit what would it be?


Don’t give up on something you think is unbelievable. I never imagined at age 25 I would weigh 140 lbs and wear a small shirt. To me, it is truly unbelievable. You can accomplish anything you set your mind to; it turns out this has been extremely beneficial in marathon training as well. Also know that you are not alone, people all across the world are in the same journey so don’t be afraid to share your story.

 

Cheryl Cook, 57, of Clayton, GA

 

Before-&-After-CC-&-BC


1.        What inspired you to lose weight?

 

I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'd given up hope. My son, a flight medic and firefighter, told me if I didn't change my lifestyle, I was going to be that call that nobody wanted. He told me he didn't want me to die. I'd just gotten out of the hospital with kidney stones and critical low potassium.

 

2.        How do you go from being overweight to running in the NYC marathon?

 

Determination! It all started with baby steps and moving forward one step at a time. I couldn't walk around the block without stopping in June 2010. I kept walking until I could without stopping, then started walking/jogging every other light pole. My first 5k took close to an hour and I couldn't run all of it, but I finished and felt successful. The running bug bit and 5k & eventually 10k runs were the weekend focus. By November, my son and I ran the X-Country half marathon in Alfia, Fl. I was clueless and again felt amazing once it was done. In 2013, a friend suggested that halfs were no longer a challenge and suggested a marathon, so I registered for the Disney Dopey Challenge, four days for 49.6 miles in January 2014. It comes down to setting a goal and taking steps towards that goal knowing failure is no longer an option.

 

3.        Have you been following a particular diet or just healthy eating?

 

My change all started with a Spark. My son uses Advocare's Spark for B vitamins and focus. It is sugar free and clean. I replaced my daily 6-pack of diet Mtn Dew with one Spark in the morning and one in the afternoon. I felt great, had energy and hope for regaining control of my life. I made one change at a time. Baby steps. As I got rid of the soda, got vitamin B in my system and began walking/running, I gave up candy, chips, etc. I added in more fruits and found great salads and steamed vegetables. White breads and potatoes were replaced with whole wheat. Fish & chicken most nights.

 

4.        Do you allow yourself 'bad' foods?

 

Yes, but it just doesn't taste as good as it used to. I love big soft pretzels with mustard. Instead of two or three, I share one with my husband now. Moderation is the key. A few of anything occasionally doesn't put the weight on.

 

5.        Being someone who is very unfit and struggles with walking what would your advice be to people who would love to run but who are maybes not physically fit enough at the moment?

 

Set your goal and focus on that goal. Don't compare yourself to others; this is your journey and your victory! Find a positive support group. If your support group doesn't fit you, find a different one. I had several "friends" tell me I held them back and was initially devastated. I quickly found a different group that was encouraging and fun to be around. I'm a slow runner and that is okay. My race; my win.

 

6.        Times when you were struggling what motivated you to keep going?

 

My dad, Colonel James H. Wallace, Jr., Ret., fought to come back from a massive stroke. He never quit. He worked hard. When I thought about quitting, I thought of how hard he fought and all he gave everyday. I encouraged him to fight through rehab and he challenged me to get healthy.

 

7.        What inspired you to run the NYC marathon and what is the difference from any other race?

 

My father took me to NYC when I was little. I loved the city and the experience. When he was fighting to recover from his stroke, I told him I was going to run NYC for him. He said "Don't just talk about it, go do it." I hit the lottery and together we will complete the TCS NYC Marathon. He passed September 18, but will be on my shirt and coaching me in spirit.

 

8.        If you could give one piece of advice to anyone wanting or trying to lose weight or get fit what would it be?

 

Believe in yourself. One step at a time.


Very inspirational stories and I would just like to say a huge thank you to the runners for taking the time to answer my questions I really appreciate it! Over the past few weeks I have been humming and haring about joining Slimming World but reading your responses to your questions gave me the push I needed and I re-joined this morning committing to a twelve week countdown. I will upload a separate update later on in the week.


So once again thank you so much! And a huge good luck for the big day!


The race takes place on Sunday 2nd November so not long to go!


Please feel free to comment below or if you have any further questions regarding the race take a look at http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/about-the-race


Fingers crossed and hopefully I might join you in the future! you all are truly inspirational!


Thanks for Reading


Tracy xx

 

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo, that's me! Thanks so much for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions and I have been very inspired by all of your stories! Good luck for the race and you should be so proud! xx

    ReplyDelete