Saturday 25 October 2014

Letting go of Self-Destructive Behaviours!

Untitled-1

A few weeks ago now I was sent a copy of Dr Ferentz's book 'Letting go of Self-Destructive Behaviours' and I have to say I am so lucky to have been sent a copy!

I say lucky, because I am not a huge lover of reading 'self-help' books but I have not been able to put this one down. This is a book in all honesty, that I would probably pass buy and not purchase but please don't let that be you. what I enjoy about this book is a lot of the feelings and thoughts mentioned in the book are some of the ones that I am going through or have experienced in the past. Knowing that your not alone is a huge relief and almost reassures you that things will get better.

Unfortunately for me something happened when I was younger that has made me the way I am today, and it has only been recently that I have learnt this and started to look at how I have allowed my past to effect my future.

I constantly say this because I believe it to be true, it is a long and painful process but the only way to turn your life around is to find the route cause of what is making you sad, anxious, depressed etc and try to work through your issues.

For me seeing a councillor is really helping, talking to someone and saying things out load helps enormously especially when maybes you have not spoke about a particular event for over 20 years! Now I know that's not for everyone, my mam hates the thought of talking to someone so she has found the book very helpful.

This is not just a book to read, there are activities that get you to start thinking about things, for example the first thing asked of you is what are your thoughts about talking to a therapist etc finding your triggers etc. For me this helps, its something I can interact with, it is a way of making me think about my issues in a unforceful way.

IMG_0536

I would strongly recommend reading this book, try and get a copy from a library if your not wanting to spend money or maybes if you have a group of friends that could all put in a small amount and group together to buy and then circulate it.

IMG_0538

I am in no way saying run out to the shops and buy this book because I sad so, however I wouldn't have and it is helping me so much so if you cant or don't want to purchase it find other means to read this book, if nothing else it will help you realise what you are doing that is holding you back from your own happiness.

I would like to add some information which I have received about the book below:

 
Hurt people hurt people – most often themselves



Do you ever feel scared or upset by your behaviours, yet resist the idea of stopping or changing them? Do you have a friend or loved-one who is floundering but hasn’t asked for help?



Letting Go of Self-Destructive Behaviors offers a toolkit full of inspiring, creative resources for the millions of adolescents and adults who struggle with self-destructive behaviours, like deliberate self-harm, disordered eating, substance abuse, addictive behaviours, and any other form of self-mutilation. Readers will learn to understand and begin to heal from these behaviours, rather than continuing the cycle of distraction and resistance.


The self-motivating, easy-to-follow techniques Lisa provides focus on calming the body, containing overwhelming emotions, managing negative and distorted thoughts, addressing tension and anxiety, improving communication skills, and decreasing a sense of vulnerability.


"This is a book for anyone who has had a rocky start in life and is ready to stop turning that neglect and abuse in on themselves. The exercises in Letting Go of Self-Destructive Behaviors will help you and your therapist navigate the rough terrain from self-inflicted pain to healthy self-soothing. Even if you have experienced a good reason not to trust a therapist, Lisa Ferentz will win you over with her compassionate, non-judging and wise approach to putting you in the driver's seat. After reading about Lisa Ferentz's calm acceptance of her clients' ‘secrets,’ and the ways in which they begin to let go of shame and change their behaviour, you will be inspired to work with a therapist who can help you."


Amy Weintraub is the author of Yoga Skills for Therapists and Yoga for Depression and is the founder of the LifeForce Yoga Healing Institute


If you would like further information about this book then click here!


Each day I feel like I am changing and I still have bad days but facing my demons is really allowing me to move forward and hopefully I will stop self harming myself with food.


Thank you so much for reading


Tracy xx



2 comments:

  1. Wow this book sounds amazing. I would love to read it myself. I'm sorry that you went through some tough things in your past. It can only make you stronger though honey!!!! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yh its a great book for helping people realise how they are actually stopping themselves rather than think something is stopping them from being happy. Very true! Thank you, thank you for commenting :) xx

    ReplyDelete